Hetty Johnston AM
Founder and CEO of Bravehearts Inc.
Hetty Johnston is the Founder and CEO of Bravehearts Inc., Australia’s leading child protection advocates.
A born lobbyist, Hetty is a woman of passion and determination who has succeeded in highlighting the issue of paedophilia within media, families, schools and the general community both nationally and internationally.
In 2006, Hetty was announced as a finalist Australian of the Year Awards – she is the recipient of two Australian Lawyers Alliance Civil Justice Awards (2003, 2004) and was named a finalist in the 2008 Suncorp Queenslander of the Year Awards. In early 2009, Hetty was recognised as one of approximately 70 outstanding leaders throughout the world, receiving the prestigious annual Toastmasters International Communication and Leadership award. She was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship in 2010 and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Community Practice and Governance (March 2010). Hetty was recently awarded Ernst & Young’s 2013 Social Entrepreneur of the Year – Northern Region Award. Also in 2013, Hetty was named Westpac’s 2013 100 Women of Influence and YWCA Queensland’s’ 125 Leading Women, 2013.
In June 2014, Hetty was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for her years of work as an advocate for child sex victims.
Hetty established Bravehearts in 1997, an organisation with a Mission to make Australia the safest place in the world to raise a child.
Her responsibilities include/d:
- Chaired the Queensland Child Protection Week Committee for three years;
- Held a position on the Board of NAPCAN (National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect);
- Held a position on the Board with ASCA (Advocates for Survivors of Child Abuse);
- Sat as Chair for the Endeavour Foundation’s ‘Abuse Prevention and Response Committee’;
- Was a participant on the Federal Government’s Working Party on a ‘National Approach to Child Protection’;
- Currently sits on the Federal Governments working party on Cyber-Safety;
- Is currently an advisor to the Qld Child Protection Commission of Inquiry;
- Working with the Federal Governments’ Royal Commission into Institutional Responses of Child Sexual Abuse.
Hetty is a much sought after speaker at Local, State, Federal and International levels including the International Virtual Global Taskforce Conference hosted by the Australian Federal Police in Sydney 2010.
Follow Hetty on Twitter